A member of our Discipleship Group recently noticed an interesting thing. In his daily COVID-19 briefings, President Trump started calling the virus “the invisible enemy” and suggesting that Americans should consider themselves “warriors” in the fight against it.
As a Christian, Sandy immediately thought of Satan and his demons and the similarities between those evil ones and the virus.
Here is a summary of Sandy’s observations and supporting Scripture readings:
“What has happened to us because of the virus?
- We have been divided, alienated, separated, forced to suspend corporate worship.
- We have been overwhelmed with unemployment, shortages, poverty, discouragement.
- We have been killed and our security has been destroyed.
- We have been confused by conflicting information.
- We have given in to fear and it is controlling us to the point where we are willingly giving up our freedom.
If this sounds like evil personified, you are correct. What do Satan and his demons seek to do? They seek to:
- Divide the body of Christ and alienate worshipers. Satan hates unity. Jesus prayed for unity.
- Overwhelm our spirits into concentrating on our problems. Jesus gives us His peace.
- Steal, kill and destroy. Jesus gives us life.
- Use lies to confuse us. Jesus is truth.
- Instill fear in us, turning us to man-made solutions rather than God ordained ones. Jesus sets us free from all fear.
If God were to open our eyes, even for a moment, to see the battle around us, the spiritual forces of wickedness and the enemy coming for us, our understanding of Ephesians 6:12-17 would never be the same. The flesh is useless in this battle.
Take heart. We know the outcome.”
From The Word:
The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly.
His mouth is full of curses and deceit and oppression; under his tongue is mischief and wickedness. He sits in the lurking places of the villages; In the hiding places he kills the innocent; his eyes stealthily watch for the unfortunate. He lurks in a hiding place as a lion in his lair; he lurks to catch the afflicted: He catches the afflicted when he draws him into his net.
For the enemy has persecuted my soul; He has crushed my life to the ground; He has made me dwell in dark places, like those who have long been dead. Therefore my spirit is overwhelmed within me.
These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world.
1 Peter 5:8
Be of sober spirit, be on the alert. Your adversary, the devil, prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour.
For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm. Stand firm therefore, having girded your loins with truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; in addition to all taking up the shield of faith with which you will be able to extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. And take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.